I'm not really sure where to start. I'm sure yall are aware by now that I was involved in a wreck. We left home base about 115 on Friday afternoon. It was Elizabeth, Naomi, Liz, Me, Chaira, Marci, and Lindsay. About 5 pm a passing truck lost a boulder sending it into our lane. We hit it and lost control. Our driver did all he could to prevent the wreck. We ended up flipping 2.5 times before coming to a stop on the right side of the truck. The last thing I remember is hearing the noise, swerving and grabbing the "oh crap" handle. I hit my head and dont remember anything else until I was out of the truck. I have 3 stitches in my head, my elbow is cut open, my shoulder pretty bruised and sore, my knee is cut from glass and im sore all over...I'm very lucky it wasnt worse. Five of the other girls have similar injuries. Elizabeth, however, didnt make it. She was 21 years old from Canada. I cant believe she gone...I cant believe this happened. I cant think about what her family is going through. She was very close to her family and spoke of the often. She will go back to Canada on Wednesday. We are having a service her for in Arusha before they take her to the airport. Today was really hard because some of my housemates and me had to pack her stuff and make a list of everything she had. Mama Grace (our house mom) has a son who said it was Gods plan that we were all sent to africa to escort Elizabeth to heaven. That we are her angels. I ask that yall pray her for safe return to Canada and for her family.
As for me, my first reaction was that I wanted to come home. But after a few days of thought I decided I wanted to stay. I want to stay for Elizabeth, she loved it here. She loved her kids at work. I want to stay for the girls in the house. I cant get through this without them. I want to stay for myself....for my own healing. I'm not sure how long I plan on staying. I dont want nor do I think I could stay the intended 3 months. I think, think, I may stay another 6 weeks. My grief comes in waves, but I'm doing okay.
After we were all transported to the hospital people came and raided the truck. All our cameras, ipods, money, etc. was stolen. It makes me sick that people are so heartless. They tell us its gangs that do that stuff.
Thank yall for all your thoughts and prayers and I ask that you keep them coming....for all of us involved. Thank you mom and dad for all your support. Yall have been amazing through all this. Same to you Jana!
I love all and miss all!
Oh, and the hospital was chaotic. Thats a story for another day.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Laura,
I have been praying for you everyday, and i will continue to do so, and i will add elizabeth, and her family, and all of those with you to my list. I love you so much and I am so thankful you are okay. God works in mysterious ways, and i must agree with the son of your housemom. I love you and will continue to pray for you. Let me know the day you plan to be back so i can plan a time to hug your neck! you are a strong woman and a great friend. Smile, and let elizabeth's love for giving to others continue to shine through you! i love you, and i'm glad you are safe. god bless you and all of your friends there! i can't wait to see you soon.
Laura,
Jana told me about the accident and I'm so sorry to hear about it and Elizabeth. Know we are praying for you here in Atlanta...I hope you heal physically and your heart heals too. You are so brave!
Emily
Laura,
I miss you so much. It was great talking to you today, to hear your voice. I am so proud of you for being so strong and for being who you are. I know its hard being so far from home right now and I also know its really hard to understand His plan sometimes. I love you so much, you are in my thoughts and prayers all day everyday. I am praying for your friends there too. I love you so much!
Jana
Laura,
I haven't stopped thinking about you since I heard. I'm praying for Elizabeth's family and you. Your friend is right though, you were there to see her safely to Heaven. I'm so proud of you for staying and seeing that Elizbeth would want you to enjoy the rest of your experience in her memory. I miss you way to much for my own good and only want to tell you how wonderful you are. I can't wait to see you again. Alpha love and allof mine,
Lauren
Post a Comment